Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Totoro's Review Of... "Stardust"


As promised, here is my review of the 2007 film "Stardust"... So, let's get this party started!

CAUTION! SPOILERS AHEAD!

The Story
The nondescript English village of Wall holds a wonderful secret. The village's namesake stone wall near the town (and specifically, its large hole) is actually the gateway to the magical Kingdom of Stormhold. While enjoying a romantic evening with his friend/beloved Victoria (Sienna Miller), Tristan Thorne (Charlie Cox) sees a star fall from the sky and land in the forest behind the wall. Tristan then promises to bring the star back for Victoria as a way of showing his affection. Little does Tristan knows that this one act will set off a series of events that will forever change his life.

The Review
As this movie is an adaptation, there are some divergences from the original source material (Neil Gaiman's 1998 novel). But, as I had not read the book prior to seeing the film, I cannot explicitly comment on any major changes on that front.

But I will comment first on the acting in this film. Charlie Cox does a fine job playing the dramatic lead, but Michelle Pfeiffer turns in an a deliciously evil performance as the oldest of three witch sisters on a quest for immortality. The rest of the cast, Claire Danes, Mark Strong, David Kelly, Kate Magowan and Ricky Gervais also turn in strong performances. Fantasy stalwart Ian McKellan puts in a vocal cameo as the film's narrator while Peter O'Toole also appears as the dying King of Stormhold. But, my customary "Scene Stealer Award" goes to Robert De Niro for his performance as Captain Shakespeare.

After my initial viewing, I was surprised to discover that this film was directed by Matthew Vaughn (who had previously directed Layer Cake, and would go on to direct both Kick-Ass and the forthcoming X-Men: First Class). He, along with editor Jon Harris (Snatch., 127 Hours) kept the film at a frenetic yet considered pace.

The Verdict

Upon the advice of Jupiter & Mr. A, I was told to see this film. After delaying for almost two months, I finally set aside some time to watch it, and I found myself regretting that I had not watched it sooner. While I don't view this film on the same level as The Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter sagas, it still remains a good fantasy film nonetheless.

7.5/10

Mahalo,
~Totoro (Creator, Executive Producer)

No comments: